- Ogre: the architecture and design is not very performance friendly. The usage of C++ makes the usage and re-design here quite difficult. An example: each material has its own C++ file and there is an inheritance chain from a base class ...
- Irrlicht: the Mac OS X version I tried looks like a Quake 3 engine. It also seems to lack lots of design elements of a modern 3D engine. Other than this it looks quite good for a portable device. You might also use the original Quake 3 engine then ...
- Quake 3: this is obviously a very efficient game engine with rock-solid tools, I worked with this engine in the Medal of Honor series before, but I wanted a bit more flexibility and I wanted to target more advanced hardware.
- Crystal Space: why is everything a plug-in? Can't get my head around this.
- C4: this is one of my favourite engines, but it is closed source :-(
Sunday, December 9, 2007
Porting an Open-Source Engine to the iPhone?
Evaluated several open source engines: